Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 7

I can't officially claim that I have gone one week. I can only claim that honor tomorrow. But I am feeling pretty good. Today I did lose one additional pound. That means since the inception of the Optifast diet, I've lost 7 1/2 pounds. Based on past experience, that's just about right. 7-8 pounds for the first week is average. Most of it is, of course, water weight. Only about half, I think, is actual fat, and if I were to blow it now (which I have done before at this stage) I would immediately gain back four-five pounds (in a day or so) and the rest rather quickly (in the course of about a week). The weakness or flaw of Optifast or any other "protein shake"-type diet is always the yo-yo factor--to gain back all weight in a period of time which is almost equivalent to the time it took to lose it in the first place. And I have definitely experienced the "over-reaching" hunger pangs that cause me to eat more than normal if I fail on this diet after only a week or two. That's why, with Optifast, unless you stick with it for at least six weeks, you're just wasting your time, money, and energy. (Optifast can cost about 20 bucks a day!) But something happens around the 7 or 8-week mark. Maybe it's the 10 week mark, but it's somewhere around there, and I know it happens. Your "starvation mode" or set-point defensive button just sort of fizzles or gives up. Your body kind of says, "Well, I guess that weight is really, truly gone, so I'll just have to start from where you're at now." There's nothing scientific about that analysis. It's just an observation of my personal experience with this diet. The first time I did Optifast was back in the late 90s, and I actually kept the weight off for about five years. But I also incorporated a life-style change of daily exercise. I really didn't change my eating habits. But just started exercising a lot. I gave up that regimen about the time my life really started to change--three or so years ago. I know for this diet to work I'll have to do the lifestyle change again. With the help of my wife, I hope that succeeds.

Boy! It sounds like I'm celebrating victory here! Gotta get THAT outa my head. Fact is, I still have a very very long long way to go. In the past I've actually made it on this diet a full five or six weeks and then crashed and burned and failed heinously and started a binge-quest that lasted until nearly all the weight was gained back. So the six-week mark is another milestone that must be conquered. But until then, let me at least bask in the success of one week.

It's honestly getting easier. My food-lusts are slightly less overwhelming. And I'm very proud of my success.

Now excuse me while I go microwave a plate of Doritos topped with massive shredded chedder cheese and a nice big bowl of salsa mingled with bean dip.

Just kidding. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment