Friday, September 18, 2009

Just like I said...

Remember when I said if I stopped posting for a few days it was probably a sign of disaster? Well, disaster it has come. I have not been on the diet since Tuesday. That was the day major stress hit.

Anyone who has ever dieted (and if you haven't we all secretly despise you anyway) knows that stress is generally the most common cause of failure. It's not hunger. It's LIFE! Life kicks in in a big way whenever we try to conquer this beast, and afterwards we return to our old habits of making food our source of comfort. Trouble is, LIFE comes at a person in an endless variety of stressful ways. When one attempts a diet I suppose one has to EXPECT stress to enter their life in a big way. It's just how things work. So the trick is to recognize that it's gonna happen, and already we will have our mental armor snugly in place so that when stress hits, as it inevitably will, it doesn't kill the diet. Because we ALL KNOW that failure on a diet only ADDS to our stress. Any other promise is a cotton-pickin' lie! The promise of food as a source of comfort ends up being a foul deception.

So what's the plan from here? Well DUH! The plan is to start again. What else can I do? But it won't be today. Today I face the SECOND most common cause of failure on a diet--going out to eat with dinner guests. And even worse (for me) going out to eat Thai food. You think I'm gonna sit there and not eat? Besides, we even have a coupon for this restaurant. One of those "buy one, get one free meal" thingees. Well, the coupon won't work unless I eat, right?! Oh sure! Go ahead and tell me that if I SAVE the coupon, it will cost the same anyway, and I can just sit there and suck on a diet soda! Yeah right! A cyborg might do something like that. But not a human being!

And then tomorrow I'm taking my boys fishing. And we all know that only a very small portion of a fishing trip is about catching fish. The rest is about eating JUNK FOOD! Besides, how am I supposed to take my Optifast powder on a fishing trip? I don't have a car adaptor for my hand mixer!!!!

Actually...now that I think about it...I think I DO have an adaptor that would work for my hand mixer. Hmmm. And if I concentrate on FISHING and not JUNK FOOD...This could work. This just might work. If I force the kids to bring something unappetizing like ham sandwiches and chips...I may be onto something here.

Okay, here's my new goal. TOMORROW I AM GOING FISHING. And I will BRING MY HAND MIXER and my car adaptor and my Optifast powder.

I can do this. I can start the diet again tomorrow. Sunday should then be easy. After Church and after Church choir I can hide in my bedroom or the TV room all day and avoid the kitchen. That would be two solid days of success...Yes, I think I can do this.

All right. Starting tomorrow, I'm back on the wagon. Just believe in me, please? If my blog readers can't believe...who will? :)

3 comments:

  1. Once I started seriously trying to lose weight I discovered that tons of people were in the same boat. Turns out people actually do want you to succeed (unless you're skinny, then I secretly want them to fail, of course). I started a blog to track too (feel free to spy on my own progress: saygoodbyefatty.blogspot.com).

    I believe we are our own worst enemy - especially when it comes to our bodies. You CAN do this Chris. Don't believe the lies you might tell yourself about cheating. You really can do this.

    ReplyDelete